Life in most parts of Valley limping to normalcy

World Sunday 17/April/2016 15:19 PM
By: Times News Service
Life in most parts of Valley limping to normalcy

Srinagar: Life in most parts of Indian-administered-Kashmir started limping back to normalcy after remaining paralysed for five days due to strikes and protests, but restrictions continued as a precautionary measure in Handwara and Kupwara towns where five persons have been killed since Tuesday.
While Internet services remained snapped across the valley, train services between Baramulla in Kashmir and Banihal, across the Pir Panjal mountain range, resumed this morning after remaining off the tracks for four days. There were no restrictions in Srinagar on Sunday, which has so far passed off peacefully with no untoward incident reported from anywhere in the valley, a police official said here.
He said the restrictions, imposed on Wednesday in six police station areas of the city, were lifted as there were no major protests on Saturday or no call either for a shutdown.
Restrictions were imposed following the death of three persons during protests against alleged molestation of a girl by a soldier in Handwara town on Tuesday.
Two more were killed on subsequent days of protests in Kupwara district. However, the official said, strict curbs on the movement of people remained in force in some parts of north Kashmir, including Kupwara and Handwara towns, for the fifth day to maintain law and order.
Mobile Internet services remained suspended across Kashmir to prevent rumour mongering but the ban may be revoked later in the day after assessing the situation, the official indicated.
He said the train services in the valley also resumed on Sunday after four days of suspension. Severe damage to the train insfrastructure has been caused in the past during protests in Kashmir and the railway authorities have used suspension of services as a method to prevent further damage to their property.
Meanwhile, normal activities resumed on Sunday elsewhere in the Valley as no separatist group has called for a strike or protest for the day. While government offices and educational institutions remained shut on account of being a Sunday, shops, fuel stations and other business establishments opened after four days in this capital city and across some other districts, the official said, adding that public transport was back on roads.
Besides three persons being killed on Tuesday, a youth was killed in Drugmulla area of Kupwara during protests against the Handwara incident a day after.
In fresh violence on Friday, 18-year-old Arif Hussain Dar was killed while three others sustained bullet injuries when army opened fire to disperse stone-pelting protestors outside a camp in Nathnusa area of Kupwara, 100 km from here.
Two persons were injured in violent clashes that took place in Trehgam area of Kupwara district on Saturday. Both the injured were shifted to a hospital in Srinagar for specialised treatment. Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Saturday visited Handwara where she took stock of the situation and also met the kin of the deceased persons. She also assured them that justice would be done.