Give your phone a break
Thursday 16/May/2019 09:29 AM
By: Times News Service
Have you considered this - your phone is probably tired of being picked up every 5 minutes while you check for notifications. And then you wonder why the battery drains out so quickly! If not yourself, think about the life of your gadgets, and give them a break. Here are 5 things you can start implementing in your daily life.
1) Phone free meals – Thanks to the fast-paced culture, meal times aren’t like they used to be. It’s usually on-the-go now. But for the times when you are seated at the table with the family, give them priority instead of the phone. Turn off your notifications or just resist the urge to check it every time it beeps.
2) Incorporate effort – If you don’t want to put your phone on silent, just keep it far away from you. For example, if you’re in the kitchen, keep your phone in the far end of the dining room, so you think twice before walking all the way across every time a notification tinkle sounds.
3) Separate – A common excuse most people give to stay glued to the phone is ‘work’. We don’t deny that work can be quite pestering sometimes, but let’s be honest, how many times have we not casually gone on to our social media apps while tending to a ‘work email’. Keep your work phone separate from your personal, so you aren’t using one as an excuse for the other.
4) Position apps – There are just so many fun apps nowadays, right? Only that these apps don’t help in controlling phone usage. Here’s a simple trick – move apps that are useful to the home screen (not fun, useful), and the addictive ones to a remote folder. Out of sight, out of mind!
5) Substitute good with bad – The best way to get rid of an old habit is to bring in a good habit in its place. Use this strategy to get rid of your phone addiction too. When you’re getting to bed, instead of reaching for your phone, reach out to a good book. If you feel like playing games, instead of downloading a game, play a real board game.
Antara Bose is a model turned fashion and beauty consultant. A popular blogger, anchor, and voice over artist, she maintains a deep connection with the local fashion industry and is passionate about discovering and celebrating aspiring talent as well as promoting animal rights. For fashion updates with a side of humour and sarcasm follow Antara on instagram @antarabose and on Facebook: Antara Bose.