The news on the first day of Ramadan continued to dominate news agenda this week in Oman.
1. The moon sighting committee announced that Monday shall be the 30th Shaban 1437H and Tuesday, June 7, 2016 shall be the first day of Ramadan 1437H. This was the best read story online.
2. News that an Omani village has only three fasting hours every day is untrue, according to the Ministry of Tourism. This was the second best read story online.
3. Expatriates may finally be able to own property in a wider number of locations across Oman if a plan under discussion gets official backing. This was the third best read story online.
4. Two companies have been awarded taxi licences by the Ministry of Transport—a first for the city. The firms now have to deliver business plans before starting operations. The strict rules governing meters and driver conduct should ensure greater passenger safety and value for money, according to officials. This was the fourth best story.
5. Remittances to India from Oman have fallen due to demographic changes in Oman, including more blue collar workers settling in the country, money exchange houses report. This was the fifth best read story.