KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia has entered the "recovery phase" of containing the COVID-19 outbreak as new confirmed cases and active cases continue to drop, a senior health official said Tuesday.
Malaysia recorded 31 new cases on Tuesday, the lowest recorded since a movement control order has been implemented on March 18, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 5,851, said Health Ministry Director-General Noor Hisham Abdullah said at a press briefing.
Another 75 cases were released, bringing the number of those cured and discharged to 4,032 or 68.9 percent of all the cases.
Of those still receiving treatment, 36 are currently being held in intensive care unit and 17 of those are in need of assisted breathing.
Noor Hisham Abdullah said the number of new confirmed cases and total active cases had been on a trend of decline during the past two weeks, which shows the "flattening of the curve" and that the country has entered the "recovery phase".
"The number of active cases today is 1,719 compared to the highest number of active cases which was 2,596 on April 5. This achievement is the result of the proactive and aggressive actions of the government in curbing the spread of COVID-19," the official said.
The restrictions have been extended three times and are now scheduled to be in place till May 12.
Malaysia also recorded the 100th deaths from the COVID-19 in the country after another individual succumbed to the disease. The latest fatality was a 67-year-old man who had suffered from other medical conditions before becoming infected.