Muscat: Healthcare services and government authorities are putting their best efforts to cut down the COVID-19 infections cases by 60 percent.
The latest data shows that there are 277 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the country, although 61 patients have made full recoveries. With the death of a 72-year-old citizen, the toll in Oman has risen to two.
Oman’s Government Communications Centre said the movement of people between governorates increases the chance of infection among people.
“It provides a greater chance for the spread of the virus, thus recording more infections in other governorates,” said the centre. “It makes patients come into contact with other people, including persons who may be infected with the virus before symptoms occur.”
H.E. Dr. Ahmed Mohammed Al Saidi, Minister of Health said that the efforts of the Supreme Committee to monitor the development of COVID-19 were gaining the direct attention and support of His Majesty Sultan Haitham Bin Tarik.
The minister made the statement during a virtual online video press conference.
The minister said, “So far, 5,380 people had been tested, and 36 people have been subjected to institutional quarantine. We can reduce infections by 60 percent if health guidelines are followed by citizens and residents in the Sultanate. We are trying to decrease the number of cases to 60 per cent. The spread of the coronavirus is increasing, but at a rate that is controllable because we began preparations early, during the month of January.”
“Muttrah was closed because it is the centre of the coronavirus infection, and because social transmission had begun there,” said the minister. “The reason for isolating Wilayat Muttrah is due to the occurrence of community transmission, so Muttrah has been isolated to limit the spread of the virus. “20 percent of cases are critical, but the remaining 80 percent are not. All those coming into the Sultanate are also subject to quarantine.
“The health-based isolation of Muttrah comes in the context of seeking to control societal transmission and other areas may be closed if indicators prove the presence of new spots,” he added. “If we find cases of community transmission of the coronavirus in any region, closing it will become necessary. We do not take these decisions lightly, nor do we seek to constrict the ways of life for citizens and residents, as the measures implemented have been taken to benefit everyone.”
“Many leading countries have reached out to the Sultanate, asking them to provide medical supplies,” explained Al Saeedi. “This shows that around the world, it is currently difficult to obtain these supplies. If not for the measures that we’d taken early, the number of infected would’ve reached tens of thousands per month, and hundreds more would need to have been admitted into intensive care.”
However, the minister cautioned that the pandemic was still maintaining an upward trend and that the number of beds in the Sultanate’s intensive care units might be able to accommodate all cases. He urged all members of the public to stick to the directives and unite in the face of the contagion. The minister pointed out that laboratories and human resources are in the service of society in all governorates and that no governorate was being favoured at the cost of the other.