Easy to make and packed with plenty of nutritients spinach soup is a must try.
• 1 1/2 cup spinach, finely chopped
• 1 cup low fat milk
• A pinch of pepper powder
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 tsp garlic salt
• 1 tsp oil
• Heat oil in a pot. Add onions and sauté till pink.
• Add chopped spinach and saute for 2 minutes till the spinach wilts.
• Season with pepper powder, garlic salt and a cup of water. Stir well. Keep aside to cool for 10 minutes.
• In a food processor, puree the spinach mix.
• Boil the puree, add milk and mix well. Let it simmer for 5 minutes and switch off the flame.
• Serve hot.
CLEAR CHICKEN SOUP
‘Chicken soup for the soul’ is how this clear and hearty chicken soup can be defined.
• 2 chicken breasts
• 8 cups of water
• 1 medium size onion,sliced
• 2 stalks of celery, chopped
• 1 and 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
• 8-10 peppercorns
• 1 bay leaf
• Fresh parsley to garnish
• Pepper to taste
• Salt to taste
• Add all ingredients except the parsley in a heavy bottomed cooking pot and mix well.
• Cook on high heat until it comes to a boil and then continue to simmer on medium heat for 2 hours stirring in between.
• Once the chicken is cooked and the flavours have infused, switch off the flame.
• Garnish with fresh parsley and serve hot.
VEGETABLE MISO SOUP
A bowl of piping hot vegetable miso soup is a simple mix of comfort, health and taste.
• 3 cups vegetable broth
• 1 tbsp minced garlic
• 1 tbsp grated ginger
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
• 2 stalks celery, sliced
• 1/4 cup miso, dissolved in 2 tbsp broth
• salt and pepper as taste
• In a large pot, combine all the ingredients except the miso and bring to a boil.
• Lower the heat.
• Cover and cook on low for 12 minutes or until the carrots soften. Turn off the heat.
• Immediately stir in the miso paste and mix well.
• Season with salt and pepper as per taste.
• Serve hot.
This is a vibrant and a healthy soup, that is low on calories and extremely delicious.
• 1/2 cabbage, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 4 cups vegetable broth
• 1/2 tbsp cumin powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
• Combine cabbage, garlic, broth, and all the spices in a pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
• Transfer about two cups of the soup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
• Recombine with the soup in the pot and give it a gentle simmer for about 5 minutes. Close the flame.
• Serve hot.
Oneza Tabish is a food blogger, consultant, and columnist based in Oman. She is also the owner of Oman’s popular Facebook group ‘What’s Cooking Oman.’