CHICKEN PARMESAN PASTA CASSEROLE
A crowd pleasing casserole with a pasta punch and the cheesy goodness of chicken Parmesan is a must have this Christmas.
• 1 package uncooked penne pasta
• 500g boiled and shredded chicken
• 2 teaspoons mixed Italian herbs
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
• 11/2 cups readymade pasta sauce
• Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
• Cook the pasta according to package directions.
• Rinse and drain the pasta and keep aside.
• In a large bowl combine cooked pasta, cooked chicken, mixed herbs, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese and pasta sauce.
• Mix until well combined.
• Spread the pasta in a casserole dish and cover with lid.
• Bake at 175 degrees C for 30 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and uncover and top with remaining cheeses.
• Bake for about 10 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.
• Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
MINI CAPRESE BITES
A healthy salad transformed into an appetiser that is easy to assemble and are perfect as quick bites.
• 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
• Salt as per taste
• Freshly ground pepper
• 16 cherry tomatoes
• Fresh basil, about 16 leaves
• 16 mozzarella balls or cubes (cut in size of cherry tomatoes)
• In a small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, salt and freshly ground pepper. Whisk together and set aside.
• Thread the bites on a toothpick by starting with one basil leaf, then one cherry tomato, one mozzarella ball or cube, and another basil leaf.
• Place on a serving platter and repeat process until no more ingredients remain.
• Drizzle with vinegar, salt and pepper mixture before serving.
EASY CHRISTMAS TRIFLE
A quick and easy trifle that’s delicious to the core and a beauty to look at.
• 1 cup strawberry jelly
• 1 cup custard
• 1 cup sliced strawberries
• 1 cup kiwi cut as rounds
• 500ml whipped fresh cream
• Prepare jelly and custard as per package instructions.
• Decoratively place a few spoonfuls of jelly in a serving bowl followed by a spoonful of custard.
• Add the strawberries and kiwis facing outwards.
• Continue in layers ending with the cream. Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.
GLAZED LAMB CHOPS
Lamb chops with the lip-smacking glaze of honey and Worcestershire that will leave your guests impressed for sure this Christmas.
• 4 medium cloves garlic, mashed
to a paste
• 2 tablespoons
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 tablespoon vinegar
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 12 lamb rib chops
• Salt and coarsely ground
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• In a small bowl, combine the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, honey, vinegar, oregano, and 1/3 cup water.
• Season the lamb chops with salt and pepper.
• Heat oil in a skillet over low heat till hot.
• Cook the lamb chops, flipping once, until browned for about 5 minutes.
• Transfer the chops to another plate and keep aside.
• In another pan, add the Worcestershire mixture, and bring to a gentle boil.
• Cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens into a light glaze, for about 7 minutes.
• Now add the chops to this mixture for them to be coated with the same and cook for another 4-5 minutes, till the chops are well done and the chops possess the glaze.
• Serve the chops with any remaining glaze poured over them.
Oneza Tabish is a food blogger, consultant, and columnist based in Oman. She is also the owner of Oman’s popular Facebook group ‘What’s Cooking Oman.’