Oman's consumer authority receives food poisoning complaint, to start probe

Oman Saturday 28/October/2017 20:35 PM
By: Times News Service
Oman's consumer authority receives food poisoning complaint, to start probe

Muscat: Public Authority for Consumer Protection (PACP) said it has received only one complaint regarding the recent food poisoning incident in Sohar and said it is ready to investigate further claims.
This week, more than 30 cases of apparent food poisoning were reported after a number of citizens complained of feeling unwell after attending a wedding, according to a Sohar health centre.
“The authority received only one complaint on bad service delivered by the wedding hall in Sohar after the incident, and procedures have been initiated to investigate at once. We welcome all the other victims’ complaints as we are keen to stand with them and ensure they are healthy and safe,” said an official in PACP.
He added, “Once it received the complaint, the authority along with other competent authorities, visited the hall and ensured that it applies all health conditions when preparing and serving the food.”
The authority also called food service providers to maintain the health and safety of consumers and warn them against complacency, as it will not hesitate to prosecute those who lack concern for the health and safety of consumers. An official in the Public Relations Department of the events hall, where the wedding was held, said, “The competent authorities visited the hall yesterday and made sure of all health requirements, which proves that the food prepared for the wedding wasn’t the reason for the alleged poisoning cases.”
He added, “During the past five years, there have been no similar cases in our hall, and the news of cancelling the bookings and closing the hall are incorrect.”
One of the groom’s cousins said, “My wife, my mother, my sister and three of my sister’s daughters were unwell after eating dinner at a wedding here in Sohar. Their health was very bad and my mother is still suffering from pain in her stomach today.”
Another relative of two of the affected victims said they attended hospital, where doctors told them they had symptoms of food poisoning. He said the symptoms were that of diarrhoea, vomiting and fever on Friday evening and Saturday morning.