Cricket: England in command of first Test against South Africa

Sports Saturday 08/July/2017 22:23 PM
By: Times News Service
Cricket: England in command of first Test against South Africa

London: England continued to hold the upper hand in the first Test against South Africa by taking a first innings lead of 97 and extending it to 216 by the close on the third day at Lord's on Saturday with nine wickets in hand.
They finished at 119 for one with former captain Alastair Cook unbeaten on 59.
The tourists had been dismissed for 361 with spinners taking six of the wickets, four of them to Moeen Ali for 59.
Resuming at 214 for five, South Africa fought hard to stay in contention, especially through Quinton de Kock and Vernon Philander, who made half centuries and added 66 for the eighth wicket.
De Kock ended Stuart Broad's involvement in England's bowling attack, striking 10 fours in his 51, which at 36 balls was the second fastest half-century in a Lord's Test.
A fine low catch by Ben Stokes ended his innings but Philander stuck around long enough to make 52 despite having been hit on the hand by Jimmy Anderson.
He went to hospital for an x-ray which showed no break. It was though a further blow to South Africa, who will have fellow paceman Kagiso Rabada suspended for the second Test next week for using "inappropriate language" on the opening day.
Nightwatchman Rabada and fellow overnight batsman Temba Bavuma went in successive overs to spinners Liam Dawson and Moeen after playing out the first 10 overs of the day.
Rabada edged the ball to wicket-keeper Jonny Bairstow to give Dawson his first Test wicket in England.
Bavuma, having made 59 off 130 balls, was taken at slip by Stokes and in his disappointment headed off in the wrong direction for the pavilion before realising his error.
Broad wasted the new ball and lasted only four overs, which cost 35 runs, most of them in boundaries by De Kock.
Philander was last out after reducing the lead to under 100 but was unable to bowl when England batted again.
Morne Morkel and Rabada kept the openers quiet early on and Cook twice survived a review for leg before.
Either side of tea, however, South Africa's depleted attack found the going tougher and it took them until the 35th over of the innings to break England's opening stand of 80.
Keaton Jennings edged Morkel to wicketkeeper De Kock, having made 33 but Garry Balance, 22 not out at the close, helped Cook push the lead beyond 200.

England 1st innings: 458
(J. Root 190, M. Ali 87, S. Broad 57no, B. Stokes 56; M. Morkel 4-115)
South Africa 1st innings
D. Elgar c Ballance b Ali 54
H. Kuhn c Cook b Broad 1
H. Amla lbw Ali 29
J. Duminy lbw Broad 15
T. Bavuma c Stokes b Ali 59
T. de Bruyn c Bairstow b Anderson 48
K. Rabada c Bairstow b Dawson 27
Q. de Kock c Stokes b Anderson 51
V. Philander b Ali 52
K. Maharaj lbw Dawson 9
M. Morkel (not out) 2
Extras (b-4, lb-7, nb-3) 14
Total (all out, 105 overs) 361
Fall of wickets: 1-10, 2-82, 3-98, 4-104, 5-203, 6-244, 7-248, 8-314, 9-337.
Bowling: J. Anderson 19-6-44-2; S. Broad 18-5-62-2; M. Wood 20-5-65-0; L. Dawson 15-2-67-2; M. Ali 20-7-59-4; B. Stokes 13-2-53-0 (nb-3).
England 2nd innings
A. Cook (not out) 59
K. Jennings c de Kock b M. Morkel 33
G. Ballance (not out) 22
Extras (lb-4, nb-1) 5
Total (1 wkt, 51 overs) 119
Fall of wicket: 1-80.
To bat: J. Root, J. Bairstow, B. Stokes, M. Ali, L. Dawson, S. Broad, M. Wood, J. Anderson
Bowling: M. Morkel 10-5-25-1; K. Rabada 13-5-35-0 (nb-1); K. Maharaj 19-8-34-0; JP Duminy 9-2-21-0.
Umpires: Sundaram Ravi, Paul Reiffel
TV umpire: Simon Fry
Match referee: Jeff Crowe