Third cellphone operator could begin services in Oman soon: Ministry

Energy Sunday 30/August/2020 12:31 PM
By: Times News Service
Third cellphone operator could begin services in Oman soon: Ministry
Muscat: A third mobile services provider will be ready to start offering its services in Oman next year, the Ministry of Transport, Communication and Information Technology has said.
Responding to a tweet, the Ministry said, “ We hope that the third operator will be ready to start providing services during 2021.”
In September last year, Oman Future Telecommunications Company signed a strategic partnership agreement with Vodafone to establish the third mobile operator in the Sultanate.
Strategic partnership
At that time, Vodafone Partner Markets Chief Executive Diego Massidda said: “I am delighted to start this strategic partnership with OFT, and I look forward to developing this new network operator and Oman’s digital economy. I am confident that this will build into a strong, lasting relationship that will benefit customers of both companies.”
Fahad Al Busaidi, Managing Director of Itqan Tech Development, which is the leading entity of the 3rd mobile operator consortium - OFT, commented: “We are delighted to start our strategic partnership with Vodafone, as part of our digital transformation journey in Oman. Undoubtedly, the launch of the Vodafone brand in Oman will be the most significant event in the telecoms market over recent years.
“The implementation of the company’s unique global technological and marketing expertise in Oman will have a positive impact for consumers, businesses and the economy. I am excited to be working with a global leader in telecommunications, and leveraging their experience and expertise.”
In January this year, Oman Towers Company (OTC) and Oman Future Telecommunications Company (Vodafone Oman) signed an agreement to use the infrastructure of inactive telecommunication towers in the Sultanate.