Mouth-watering recipes to welcome the New Year
Thursday 26/December/2019 15:12 PM
By: Times News Service
• 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
• 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
• 1/2 cup onion- diced
• 1/3 cup all purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• Salt and pepper as per taste
• 4 small garlic cloves, minced
• Oil to fry
• Add chickpeas,coriander, parsley, onion, flour, lemon juice, baking powder, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic to a food processor.
• Pulse until the mixture reaches a coarse crumb texture and refrigerate for 3 hours.
• Lay a large sheet of parchment paper on a work surface.
• Using a spoon measure take out 2 tablespoons of the dough and roll it into a ball with your hands.
• Place the ball on the parchment paper, and gently flatten it slightly with your hand.
• Repeat with the remaining dough.
• Heat oil in a wok and transfer 4 or 5 falafel disks to the hot oil and fry until both sides of the disk are browned.
• Transfer to kitchen towel to drain.
• Serve hot with pita bread, chopped lettuce, sliced red onions, sliced tomatoes.
DRUMS OF HEAVEN
• Chicken Lollipop – 10 pieces
• Oil for Deep Frying
• 1 Tbsp Ginger and garlic paste
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
• 1 tbsp Vinegar
• 2 tbsp Tomato ketchup
• 1 tbsp chilli sauce
• 3 tbsp cornflour
• 3 tbsp all purpose flour
• Combine chicken lollipop pieces with all the ingredients for marination and Keep aside for 1 hour.
• Now add cornflour and all purpose flour. Mix well.
• Heat oil for deep frying in a wok. Once hot, drop in chicken pieces and reduce heat to medium, continuing to fry till the chicken is cooked through.
• Now increase the heat and fry the chicken on high heat till crispy and golden.
• Remove with slotted spoon, drain on kitchen towel and serve hot.
CHOCOLATE VANILLA TRIFLE
• 1tsp cocoa powder
• 1tsp icing sugar
• 50ml warm water
• 20ml coffee syrup
• 20 ml pineapple juice
• 60g sponge fingers, broken
• 250 ml cream
• 80 gms vanilla yoghurt
• 1 tbsp vanilla essence
• 2tbsp grated chocolate
• Mix together the cocoa powder and the icing sugar with water.
• Stir in the coffee syrup and the pineapple juice.
• Arrange half the broken sponge fingers in glass and pour half the coffee -juice mixture on top.
• Beat the cream and the vanilla sugar until stiff.Fold in the yoghurt and pour half the mixture into the glasses.
• Place the remaining sponge finger crumbs on top, drizzle with the remaining coffee-juice mixture and top with the remaining cream.
• Serve garnished with grated chocolate.
CREAMY LAMB STROGANOFF
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large onion, peeled,thinly sliced
• 2 garlic cloves,chopped
• 350gms, lamb cut in steak style
• 1cup button mushroom
• 1tbsp tomato paste
• 2tsp paprika
• 250ml lamb or chicken stock
• 250ml sour cream
• Spring onions,chopped to serve
• Heat oil in a large, non stick frying pan and fry onion and garlic until tender.Add the lamb and fry on high for 5 mins.Add mushrooms and fry for 5 mins.
• Add tomato paste,paprika and stock.Season with salt and pepper as per taste and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 mins or until sauce has reduced.
• Stir in the sour cream,scatter with spring onions and serve with rice or pasta.
Oneza Tabish is a food blogger, consultant, and columnist based in Oman. She is also the owner of Oman’s popular Facebook group ‘What’s Cooking Oman.’