'More than half of all criminals registered in Oman are expats'

Energy Tuesday 27/December/2016 11:08 AM
By: Times News Service
'More than half of all criminals registered in Oman are expats'

Muscat: Expatriates made up more than half of the total criminals registered in 2015 according to the National Center for Statistics and Information (NCSI).
In 2015, 26,655 suspects were arrested compared to 27,012 in 2014 and expatriates made up 52 percent of the total compared to Omanis who made up the remaining 48 percent.
13,798 expatriates were registered offenders in 2015 where 12,154 are males and 1,644 are females. Omani males were registered at 12,205 while females were only 652.
According to data, 2015 registered a record low year in number of crimes where 18,860 crimes were registered compared to 22,624 in 2014 and 26,602 in 2013. 2015 recorded a 17 percent decrease in crimes compared to that of 2014.
Al Buraimi Governorate registered the highest crime rate with 13 crimes per 1000 population mainly due to the increase of residency and labor law violations and entering the country illegally considering the area is located near the border, as well as registering the highest in violators with 30 per 1000 population.