Dubai: Bahrain on Monday postponed until December 15 the trial of rights activist Nabeel Rajab to permit more investigation of a Twitter account he is accused of using to publish criticism of the government, the government and his human rights group said.
Rajab's Bahrain Centre for Human Rights said the High Criminal Court postponed the trial for a fourth time to enable it to hire a cyber crime expert to verify that the Twitter handle in question was managed by him.
In a statement, the government said: "The court took the decision to allow time for expert analysis to be conducted on a digital platform managed by Rajab to confirm if the statements posted on the account were carried out by another author."
It added that the charges, classified as criminal under the penal code, included promoting "misleading and inaccurate information about Bahrain and disseminating rumours at a time of war."
Rajab continued to be afforded full legal rights and access to legal counsel, it said.
Rajab's Centre commented: "The reopening of his case throws a light on the lack of evidence of any wrongdoing."
Rajab, one of the most prominent rights activists in the Arab world and founder of his rights advocacy group, has been repeatedly imprisoned since protests flared in the kingdom in 2011.
Rajab was arrested in June on charges related to anti-government tweets published last year, including one accusing the security forces of torturing detainees. In September 2016, prosecutors filed further charges accusing him of damaging Bahrain's reputation.
Rajab's arrest in June came nearly a year after he had been freed by a royal pardon from a six-month sentence handed out in May 2015 for making alleged remarks deemed insulting to the kingdom's security establishment.