Chefs know how to make a delicious dish of food, whether a laborious, complex dish made to impress, or a quick meal at the end of a shift that uses all the leftover ingredients from the night. One such late-night supper inspired Chef Savet’s Thai-style seafood salad, a delicious combination of cold, cooked shellfish and basic fresh veggies tossed in a tangy, sweet-spicy dressing. Feel free to substitute any seafood or even leftover chicken that you have on-hand, and toss in extra vegetables that are languishing in your refrigerator. —[email protected]
Make Chef Savet Onutai's 5-Minute Dinner
• Fully cooked prawn, crab, mussels or other shellfish, chilled
• Onion, thinly sliced
• Cherry tomatoes, halved
• Roman lettuce, roughly chopped
• For Spicy Thai Dressing (Buy pre-made or make your own up to a week ahead of time):
• 1/2- 1 tablespoon of thinly sliced Birdseye chilli (about 1-2 chillies)
• 2 tablespoons (30ml) fresh lime juice
• 2 tablespoons (30ml) fish sauce
• 2 tablespoons (30ml) rice vinegar
• 1 tablespoon (15ml) sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) salt
• Toss the seafood and vegetables in a large bowl.
• In a small pot whisk together Thai dressing ingredients and heat over low, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Chill in the fridge until ready to use.
• Gently toss salad with dressing and serve cold.
*Chef Savet Onutai is the Head Chef at Amaranthai restaurant at the Radisson Blu Sohar