https://d5nxst8fruw4z.cloudfront.net/atrk.gif?account=pUuXo1IWhd10Ug
logo
Family of 10 suffocates to death in Oman house fire
September 27, 2018 | 7:29 AM
by Times News Service
 
Sharelines

Muscat: Ten people have died — eight of them children — in a house fire that took place on Thursday morning (September 27) in Khor Al Hamam village in the wilayat of Saham, the Public Authority for Civil Defence and Ambulance (PACDA) announced.

Also read: Mum presses gas instead of brake, hits 8 school students

"Firefighting teams at the Directorate of Civil Defence and Ambulance in North Batinah responded this morning to a fire in a house in Khor Al Hamam village in the wilayat of Saham, which resulted to the death of 10 citizens of one family, due to smoke inhalation," PACDA said in a statement on Twitter.

According to Saham Hospital, the ages of the deceased were between 1 and 49.





"They were all brothers and sisters aged 1, 2, 5, 8, 12, 13, 15 and 18, in addition to the parents. Two siblings remain, one of whom is now at the hospital. These two were in colleges and were called in later," and official from Saham Hospital said. The mother was 40, and the father was 49 years old.



Police have confirmed the ages of the deceased.

The official added, "We received the bodies in Saham Hospital around 5:00 in the morning. Cause of death was suffocation for ten individuals. Most were children, the sons and daughters of a 40 and 49 year old mother and father. They were mostly devoid of burn marks."

The Wali of the area, Sheikh Awadh Al Mandhari called the event "a tragic disaster".

"It's heartbreaking and I am certain that all the authorities, especially the police, did their work in the best way possible.

"We heard the news at 5 in the morning and went to visit the house. It seemed like a small fire that started in one of the rooms and spread smoke into the house," the Wali said.

Police and rescue officials said in a statement, "We received a report at 4:25 AM and rushed to the fire, only to find 10 deceased individuals from the same family. Reasons for the fire are under investigation."

STAY UPDATED
Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know all the latest news