As of July 20, people travelling from 38 countries to the Sultanate can now stay for three more months at a time, rather than just three weeks. This has dominated news agenda this week in Oman.
1. Oman is relaxing its rules on multiple entry visas for certain countries in an effort to boost the economy. As of July 20, people travelling from 38 countries to the Sultanate can now stay for three months at a time, rather than just three weeks. This was the best read story online this week.
2. An Asian national was arrested in Nizwa on charges of possession and selling liquor. The Directorate General of Criminal Investigations and Inquires from the Dhakiliyah Royal Oman Police (ROP) caught the expat at his residence and seizied bottles of liquor. This was the second best read story online.
3. An Omani national has been under effective house arrest in India for more than two years while he awaits trial after being accused of marrying two underage girls. This was the third best read story.
4. The Ministry of Finance has cancelled certain expense claims and premium cabin airline tickets for government employees.This was the fourth best read story.
5. Hundreds of workers, both Omanis and expatriates, have flooded a government online complaints portal in its first weeks of operation. This was the fifth best read story online.