Geneva: Around 14,000 cases of monkey pox have been confirmed in over 70 countries this year and a total of 5 deaths have been reported in Africa, World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday.
The WHO chief assured that the organization will continue to do everything it can to support countries to stop transmission and save lives. "Almost 14,000 confirmed #monkeypox cases have now been reported to WHO this year, from more than 70 countries and territories. So far, 5 deaths have been reported, all in Africa. @WHO will continue to do everything we can to support countries to stop transmission and save lives," Tedros said in a tweet.
Tedros also said that although there are some countries that are registering a decline in the cases, many are witnessing an increase and around six countries reported their first cases of monkey pox last week.
The WHO chief added that the outbreak is harder to track and stop because many countries that are reporting the cases have less access to diagnostics and vaccines.
Ghebreyesus also said that the organization is validating, procuring and shipping tests to multiple countries and will continue to provide support for expanded access to effective diagnostics.
Information is one of the most powerful tools against the outbreak, he said adding that more information will allow the people at risk to protect themselves better.
"WHO is continuing to work with patients and community advocates to develop and deliver information tailored to the affected communities, and more likely to be accepted and implemented," Tedros said.