In Cameroon, at least six people died in a stampede outside a stadium hosting an Africa Cup of Nations soccer game on Monday, according to the national broadcaster.
The crush took place as Cameroon beat Comoros 2-1 in Yaounde. Dozens more were reported to have been injured and were taken to a nearby hospital.
African soccer authorities 'investigating' incident
African soccer's governing body, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) said that it was aware of an incident.
"CAF is currently investigating the situation and trying to get more details on what transpired. We are in constant communication with Cameroon government and the Local Organizing Committee," it said in a statement posted on Twitter.
Spokesperson for the Africa Cup of Nations organizing committee, Abel Mbengue said: "There was a crush as can happen when there is a stampede. We are waiting for reliable information on the number of casualties in this tragic incident."
Local authorities have yet to provide further details on the incident. "We are not in position to give you the total number of casualties,'' said local governor, Naseri Paul Biya.
Fifty years since Cameroon hosted AFCON Cup
Cameroon is hosting the competition for the first time in 50 years. The country was stripped of AFCON hosting duties in 2019 over infrastructure concerns.
At the time there were also worries over the safety situation in the country where English speakers had been protesting for months over marginalization by the francophone-dominated administration.
The global pandemic and incomplete building work had also led to doubts over Cameroon's readiness to host the tournament in 2022, and in December it was not clear whether the country would be ready.
Confirmation that the competition would proceed came on December 21 when CAF President Patrice Motsepe gave it the greenlight.