Riyadh: Saudi Arabia sentenced 14 people to death for terrorism on Wednesday after they were convicted of attacks on police in Qatif in the Eastern Province, scene of past anti-government protests, their lawyer said.
Another nine people were given jail sentences of three to 15 years and one was acquitted, their defence lawyer, who asked to remain anonymous, told Reuters.
Arabiya TV said the charges had included opening fire on security forces and civilians, causing several deaths and destruction of property.
They were also accused of peddling drugs and armed robbery against shops and cars.
The defence lawyer said he intended to appeal the rulings.
The 24 defendants -- most in their 20s -- had been held for about four years and accused of carrying weapons and shooting at police, he said.
During 2011-14 protests, around 20 civilians and several police officers were killed.
A spokesman for the Saudi justice ministry could not immediately be reached for a comment on the report, first broadcast by the Dubai-based Al Arabiya TV.
On January 2 Saudi Arabia executed four members of a minority community convicted of similar crimes alongside 43 majority community members accused of carrying out attacks for Al Qaeda a decade ago.