American childhood memories — no matter whether you grew up on the coast or in the deep south, in a rural mountain village or a bustling urban centre — always includes the sweet scent of baking chocolate chip cookies.
I remember spending snow days at home with my mother who would pull out the mixing bowl and let my brother and I help measure and add ingredients. After the fun of mixing up the sticky cookie dough came the agony of waiting. The roughly ten minutes it took for those tender, chewy cookies to bake, and the additional five minutes cooling, were the longest 15 minutes of our lives. The recipe that most follow is the simple instructions printed on the bags of semi-sweet morsels sold in every supermarket, the most famous of which are the Nestle Toll House brand.
Here in Muscat, Nestle Toll House has their own cookie cafes, and I must say that I love both their tiny, bite-sized cookies and their oversized, pan-baked cookie “cakes”, but on overcast days here in Muscat (albeit due to humidity rather than snow clouds), I find myself craving the delicious process of making these simple treats myself, and the sweet anticipation as I stare into the oven as they bake. [email protected]
Nestle Toll House
Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 large eggs
• 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
• 1 cup chopped nuts (optional. I hated nuts in cookies as a kid, and I still do)
• Preheat oven to 190°C.
• Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
• Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Nestle Toll House Café
Panorama Mall, Bausher/ Ocean Mall, Qurum
+968 9986 7141 / +968 9142 6497