x

Oman reserves over 1 million Covid-19 vaccines

Oman Wednesday 28/October/2020 12:45 PM
By: Times News Service
Oman reserves over 1 million Covid-19 vaccines
Representative image

Muscat: Oman plans to secure more than 3.6 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccines, the Minister of Health has said.

The vaccines will be delivered in in phases, according to Dr Ahmed bin Mohammed Al Saidi, who said, “Regarding vaccinations, we seek to obtain the vaccine from any internationally accredited institution.

What has been reserved so far for the Sultanate in the first phase is 1.83 million doses. For the second phase, there will be 1.8 million doses.”

The Minister of Health’s statements came at a press conference, organised by the Supreme Committee to deal with COVID-19, during which he asked people in the country to follow the regulations issued to limit the spread of the disease in the country.

“I urge everyone, to protect yourselves, your family, your community, our health sector, and the national economy, by adhering to the precautionary measures,” said Al Saidi.

He also requested people to refrain from using social media to share videos that provided incorrect information about the state of the pandemic in the country.

“I call on everyone to avoid spreading rumours, as those who circulate these videos give advice on what they do not understand,” he added. “Unfortunately, they are the ones who distort the facts.”

Al Saidi went on to thank the frontline medical workers tasked with the care of COVID-19 infected patients in Oman, as well as all the other employees available to help them during these testing times.

He added that the recent lockdown had been a success, because the concerned authorities were able to decrease the number of illegal gatherings of people in large numbers, a leading cause for community-based transmission of the disease.

“Everyone realises that this virus is largely transmitted during gatherings, yet unfortunately, some are still not adhering to the Supreme Committee’s procedures,” explained Al Saidi.

“Some may ask why the number of infections decrease during a movement ban, whether partial or full. The answer is that because we were able to stop the number of un-permitted gatherings.”

“His Majesty’s directives have always been to not restrict the national economy, and he considers the health of the citizens and residents a top priority,” the Minister of Health said.

“The outcomes of the movement ban are positive. Whatever procedures are taken by the Supreme Committee are thoroughly considered and evaluated, against their pros and cons.”

The total number of positive cases in the Sultanate has reached 114,434, while 103,630 recoveries have been reported, pointing to a recovery rate of 90 per cent.

Meanwhile, 1,208 people have lost their lives due to the disease, according to the Ministry of Health. 57 people have been hospitalised for COVID-19 over the past 24 hours.

The total number of coronavirus patients in hospital stands at 447, with 185 of them in intensive care.