Video: 10 things to remember to stay safe ahead of Cyclone Mekunu
Wednesday 23/May/2018 20:22 PM
By: Times News Service
Muscat: Oman's Public Authority for Civil Defense and Ambulance (PACDA) issued a preventive guide to make sure you stay safe during the storm.
Here's what PACDA had to say:
1. Fix objects that could be blown away by strong winds, whether it’s on the rooftop or in gardens.
2. Keep a flashlight, battery and radio along with you, because it will be the only communication device during power outage.
3. In case of any emergency, be ready to leave the place immediately, but make sure you close/switch off the source of gas, water and electricity at your place.
4. Whether you're walking or are travelling by vehicle, make sure you leave early, as roads could close due to flooding or objects that fall.
5. Find shelters and emergency assistance, which include accommodation, food, medical services and other essentials, and remember the emergency call number (9999) or 24343666.
6. Avoid venturing into the sea, wadis and low-lying areas
7. Find out about high ground areas and know how to access them.
8. Avoid sitting near street lamps or dangling wires.
9. If your vehicle stops, leave it and seek higher ground.
10. Avoid areas with inundated water and wadis.