London: The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Tuesday announced it is considering whether to appeal against the decision to clear England's James Anderson and India's Ravindra Jadeja over their recent spat.
World cricket's governing body said it "has received and is considering" the written decision of judicial commissioner Gordon Lewis, who found the pair not guilty of breaching the ICC's code of conduct following a disciplinary hearing in Southampton on Friday.
The ICC added: "As per Section 8.3.2 of the ICC Code of Conduct, ICC chief executive David Richardson has seven days — until Sunday, 10 August — to consider whether to lodge an appeal against the decision.
"The ICC will make no further comment on this matter until the decision has been made."
India charged fast bowler Anderson and England counter-charged all-rounder Jadeja regarding an incident that took place on the second day of the drawn first Test at Trent Bridge in Nottingham on July 10.
Anderson and Jadeja, batting at the time, were seen exchanging words as the players left the field during the lunch break.
It was alleged that this had escalated into a more serious disagreement, beyond public view, when the players reached the privacy of the pavilion.
But Lewis, a retired Australian judge, found Anderson not guilty of a Level Three offence of "abusing and pushing" Jadeja, who had his 50 per cent match - fee fine for a less serious Level One offence rescinded.
Anderson could have been banned for up to four Tests if he had been found guilty and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has expressed disappointment with the decision to clear him.
BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel told the Indian Express: "Yesterday (on Monday) night, we have written a letter to the ICC. We told them that we are not happy with the decision.
"We have written about the flaws which we find in the process, and also about why there is a need to appeal against this order.
"BCCI has no right to appeal on the Jadeja-Anderson case now. But, ICC, who are the prosecutor, still have the right."
The ICC has confirmed that its decision to review the case will not prevent Anderson from appearing in the fourth Test, which begins in Manchester on Thursday. The five-match series is currently tied at 1-1.