Times of Oman
Oct 10, 2015 LAST UPDATED AT 04:18 AM GMT
Attack on Pakistan's Karachi airport over with no casualties: official
June 10, 2014 | 12:00 AM
Paramilitary soldiers patrol outside Jinnah International Airport in Karachi June 9, 2014. Taliban militants disguised as security forces stormed Pakistan's busiest airport on Sunday and at least 27 people were killed in a night-long battle at one of the country's most high-profile targets. Photo - Athar Hussain/Reuters

Karachi: A security checkpost outside Pakistan's Karachi airport was attacked by gunmen on Tuesday, an official spokesman told AFP, a day after an all-night siege by the Taliban left 37 dead.

"Gunmen are exchanging fire with Airport Security Force (ASF) personnel at a checkpost guarding the airport," an ASF spokesman said.

TV footage showed paramilitary vehicles and ambulances racing to the scene of the attack.

"We have suspended all flight operations at Karachi airport and we are evacuating passengers," said Mashud Tajwar, a spokesman for Pakistan International Airlines.

The checkpost is located at the entrance of an ASF camp some 500 metres (yards) away from the main airport premises.

The assault came as Pakistan launched air strikes on a militant-infested tribal district, killing 15 people in apparent retaliation for the Monday assault.

Two gunmen on a motorcycle opened fire on Karachi's airport academy and fled after Pakistani forces retaliated, a spokesman for the Airports Security Force said on Tuesday.

The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. Separately, a spokesman for the civil aviation authority said Karachi airport had resumed flights after a brief suspension.

The second attack on Pakistan's Karachi airport in as many days has ended, a spokesman for the Airport Security Force (ASF) said, adding that the two gunmen involved had escaped.

"It was not such a big attack, two people came towards the ASF checkpost and started firing," Colonel Tahir Ali told reporters.

"They ran away after the firing and because we are on high alert, under the standard operating procedure we called in (paramilitary) rangers and the army."

Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know all the latest news