https://d5nxst8fruw4z.cloudfront.net/atrk.gif?account=pUuXo1IWhd10Ug
logo
At least 18 dead in Hong Kong bus accident
February 12, 2018 | 12:39 PM
by Times TV
 
Sharelines

Hong Kong: At least 18 people died and dozens more were hurt in a high-speed bus crash in Hong Kong on Saturday, February 10, in one of the city's worst traffic disasters in recent years.

Mangled remains of the bus as it lay toppled on the side of a major highway in the northern reaches of the city.

Firefighters on the scene cut open the bus roof to free passengers still trapped inside. Police at the scene said the driver had been arrested and charged with causing death by dangerous driving. Some victims were laid out nearby beneath sheets by emergency workers.

An executive surnamed So, with The Kowloon Motor Bus Co that operated the bus, said HK$80,000 ($10,230) in financial assistance would be paid to the families of each victim.



The company said it would also set up an investigation team to probe the cause of the crash.

STAY UPDATED
Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know all the latest news