https://d5nxst8fruw4z.cloudfront.net/atrk.gif?account=pUuXo1IWhd10Ug
logo
More than 5,000 Omanis use fuel subsidy cards
January 2, 2018 | 8:17 PM
by Times News Service
Data showed that, the number of Omanis who had registered themselves and their families in the National Subsidy system were about 188,000, which is equal to 48 per cent of the total number of eligible beneficiaries.
 
Sharelines

Muscat: More than 5,000 people used the newly-introduced national fuel subsidy cards yesterday, Oman’s national subsidy agency announced.

A majority of these users were from Al Batinah Governorate. “Within 24 hours of activating the National Subsidy system, 5,002 citizens used the support cards for filling fuel,” announced the National Subsidy System.

Data showed that, the number of Omanis who had registered themselves and their families in the National Subsidy system were about 188,000, which is equal to 48 per cent of the total number of eligible beneficiaries.

The National Subsidy System was introduced to help needy Omanis, who earn a total income of less than OMR600 a month. Under the conditions of the scheme, Omanis who enrol themselves for this scheme can purchase 200 litres of M91 fuel a month at 180 baisa a litre.



When Oman’s Ministry of Oil and Gas decided to announce revised fuel prices for the month of January 2018, they took the decision to remove the cap on M91, which was previously fixed at 186 baisa a litre.

While caps do remain on M95 and diesel, M91 costs will now fluctuate with global oil prices. It is currently priced at 200 baisas in Oman. Statistics show that 87% of all registrants for the fuel subsidy scheme are men, and the remaining 13% are women.

Those who meet the requirements to get the subsidy may register at the systemwww.nss.gov.om. They are required to fill a form and then collect the fuel subsidy card from their preferred petrol station. They then have to activate the card by following some simple steps. They may also read the instructions given on the website or on the national subsidy system twitter handle.

To ensure proper registration, a call centre (24174000) is operational from 8am to 5pm round-the-week to receive enquiries on the national fuel subsidy system.

This mechanism will include all sectors of society who meet the following requirements: Each Omani citizen above 18-year-old who owns in his name a vehicle registered with ROP or a fishing boat registered with the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries subject that his total monthly income from all sources is not more than OMR600.

STAY UPDATED
Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know all the latest news