https://d5nxst8fruw4z.cloudfront.net/atrk.gif?account=pUuXo1IWhd10Ug
logo
Nadal out of season-opening Abu Dhabi event
December 24, 2017 | 1:42 PM
by Reuters
Rafael Nadal: "It was a tough 2017 and I need to take my calendar in a different way in order to be ready."
 
Sharelines

Madrid: Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from next week's season-opening exhibition event in Abu Dhabi due to ongoing fitness problems, the world No. 1 has said.

The 16-time Grand Slam champion, who won the French and U.S. Opens earlier this year, withdrew from the ATP Finals in November after struggling with a knee injury during his round-robin defeat by Belgian David Goffin.

The 31-year-old Spaniard, who has previously played at the tournament on eight occasions, will be replaced by compatriot Roberto Bautista Agut.

"It was a tough 2017 and I need to take my calendar in a different way in order to be ready," Nadal told the Mubadala World Tennis Championships website.



"For this reason, I have sadly announced to the organisers and now to you fans that I won't play this time in Abu Dhabi."

Stan Wawrinka and Milos Raonic have also withdrawn from the tournament, which is held from December 28 to 30.

The Australian Open, the first major of the new season, begins on January 15.

STAY UPDATED
Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know all the latest news