Times of Oman
Three workers die at army building site in Qatar, reports QNA
May 17, 2017 | 1:10 PM
by Reuters
Workers are seen at one of the construction sites in Doha, on November 16, 2014. Qatar is hosting 2022 football World Cup. Picture is for illustrative purpose. Photo - AFP Files
 
Sharelines

Dubai: Three workers died and several were injured at a building site in Qatar, state news agency QNA reported.

Citing the Gulf Arab country's defence ministry, QNA said late on Tuesday that the deaths occurred during an "incident" at a construction site belonging to the Qatari armed forces but gave no details. The ministry "stressed its commitment to abide by the highest safety standards in all its facilities," QNA said.

In January a British man fell to his death while working at Doha's Khalifa International Stadium -- an incident Qatar's World Cup organising body said it was investigating. It was the third death on a World Cup site in the last year.

A Bangladeshi man who says he was harshly exploited while working on World Cup facilities in Qatar is suing FIFA for allegedly failing to use its influence to ensure workers are treated fairly.


STAY UPDATED
Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know all the latest news